Although the actual reign of the Ducal/Princely House Gulgowski-Doliwa over Austrian Imperial Lower Silesia (Schlesien-Glogau) was relatively short, 1752 until 1763, this High Aristocratic Dynasty did as much as it could on behalf of the historical durability of their domain, in some instances their only eleven-years lasting governance didn't even manage to enter some of the history books. It, nevertheless, made its undisputed mark on the flow of political developments between Austria-Hungary and Prussia.
The above map of Austrian Imperial Silesia clearly notes and recognizes the Gulgowski Ducal/Princely residence named Gulgowiza.
Crowns are much more than those who are entitled to wear them.
They are a symbol for the entirety of a cultural whole and the idea
of enlightened statesmanship.
The Vietnamese Wording Imperial Hoa'ng Th'ich Means in the English and
French Languages Prince(ss) of the Blood and
The Ducal / Princely History of the Gulgowski Dynasty,
initially decreed by Her Imperial Majesty Empress Maria Theresa of Austria-Hungary and other Crownlands in March 1752 and, after the cession of the Silesian Wars, recognized by Frederick the Great in September 1772, stands in modern times recognized by the following nations / personages of Imperial, Royal and Princely origin / status:
AUSTRIA-HUNGARY, The Imperial and Royal House of Habsburg-Lorraine and Salm-Salm
GEORGIA, The Royal House of Bagrationi / Batonishvili
GRANDE COMORE, Sultan Charif de la Grande Comore Islands
JORDAN, The Royal Hashemite House of Jordan
PORTUGAL, The Royal Portuguese House of Braganca
RUSSIA, The Russian College of Heraldry
SPAIN, The Royal House of Bourbon
VATICAN, The Holy Father Pope Benedict XVI
VIETNAM, The Imperial Nguyen Dynasty of Vietnam, H.I.H. Prince Regent Nguyen Phuc Buu Chanh
and many others.
Present-Day Imperial, Royal and Princely Recognitions
Emperor Sigismund I of the Holy Roman Empire of the German Nation and King of Hungary
served as the first Sovereign Grandmaster of the Order of the Defeated Dragon. See his portrait below.
The "Drachenorden" was, for all practical historical reasons, a Companion Order of Nobility, normally governed by the Sovereign German Head of State. Gulgowski Dynasty individuals were also proud members of this high-ranking chivalric organization.
However, attending to the myriad tasks of a far-flung knightly organization like the Teutonic Knights also provided successful individuals with appropriate awards.
Holding elevated ranks within the Imperial Order of the Teutonic Knights of St. Mary's Hospital resulted in ascending to the highest level of organizational responsibility.
Other important, pertinent information pertaining to the maps provided above may be gleaned from related information available near the beginning of this webpage.
The renowned membership of the Gulgowski Dynasty with the Imperial Order of the Teutonic Knights of St. Mary's Hospital is largely based on their extensive and influential landholdings around the Pomeranian city of Schwetz. Kindly consult the maps below.
15 0' 0'' North
108 43' 0'' East
For significant and far-reaching services rendered onto the
Imperial Couple of Vietnam,
H.I.H. Prince Nguyen Phuc Buu Chanh of Vietnam and Duke of Kien Hoa and
H.I.H. Cong Nuong Princess Phan Lien of Vietnam and Duchess of Kien Hoa,
The Imperial Nguyen Dynasty of Vietnam (in Exile) and
the brave and undefeated people of Vietnam,
subject nobleman, General Officer and Senior Executive Civil Servant
Hau Tuoc Hoa'ng Th'ich Dr. Paul Nguyen Phuc, Ph.D.,
is awarded in perpetuity the
agricultural center of Dong Vinh,
situated in Minh Long District and Quang Ngai Province, Vietnam,
as his Princely Magraviate.
The governors of the castles Beihingen and Wildstein served their respective Emperors of
the Holy Roman Empire of the German Nation as warriors and tax administrators.
They held the noble title of Imperial Count.
The Wildstein Castle Complex
The four coats-of-arms featured here represent the von Notthoff Dynasty;
i.e. the ancestors of Princess Heide's mother Maria Margarete von Notthoff.
These noble warrior sign posts invite us to the von Notthoff's past history
in various parts of Bavaria including Franconia that is nowadays an integral part of modern Bavaria
in southeastern Germany.
Intensive ancestral research of the von Notthoff history reveals the presence of two
noble estates still viable today. They are introduced below.
This is a rendering of the complete von Hegenscheidt estate so our esteemed readers are better enabled to appreciate the expands of this particular von Hegenscheidt parcel of real estate.
The above photograph shows Juergen, elder brother of Princess Heide, being seated in an ornate, high-back Count's chair, at least temporarily enjoying the serenity and authority of a Count of times long past.
The above ornate room is just one of many of such chambers in Hegenscheidt Palace.
The Ancestral Homes of H.S.H. Grand Dame Heide A.M. Gulgowski-Doliwa, nee von Hegenscheidt,
The Duchess of Schlesien-Glogau
The Hegenscheidt Palace on an enchanting, sunny winter day.
While on vacations, weekends and holidays, the von Hegenscheidt family resided and presided at their neo-Renaissance palace in Reindorf (Ornontowice). This characterized in every way gentile living in the countryside. The aristocratic Hegenscheidt palace was classified in German governmental records as a "Rittergut" or noble estate. Since one of the later von Hegenscheidt's was legally and recognizably married to a Countess von Bethusy_Huc, this estate enjoyed, of course, the elevated status of a Countly residence.
Old government records manifest, that all in all 318 people lived, or earned their living, on this extensive estate in the year 1900. In summer and in winter, this luxurious estate of architecture could not have been more elegant or sophisticated.
The Villa Hegenscheidt
During their lifetimes, the indisputably great members of the von Hegenscheidt family were philanthropists par excellence, who, for their extensive good deeds, are still remembered by the Polish population of this area today. Streets and avenues that carry their name continue to exist in this part of Upper Silesia in modern times and will do so for a long time to come.
While working in Gleiwitz, immediate members of the August Wilhelm von Hegenscheidt family resided in the Villa Hegenscheidt. The international word for villa is "mansion." Here, they entertained in great style: Dinners for nobility, friends and business associates, recitals of poetry and music as well as receptions on high church and national holidays for the dignitaries of the region and visiting very important persons from distant places.
The von Hegenscheidt Industrial Arts College
To support the various branches of his industrial empire, August Wilhelm von Hegenscheidt also instituted what one would call today an industrial arts college, designed to educate young people in the industrial skills necessary to operate an immense and highly technical entity. Today, the edifice, that once housed this college, is still being utilized as a Lyceum (High School for girls).
The von Hegenscheidt Royal Steel Mill in Gleiwitz
The von Hegenscheidt plants were expanded over time to produce industrial-strength steel cables of all sorts and lengths, including barbed wire and electrical wire systems in tremendous quantities. These products were transported and distributed via an extensive network of canals, railroad tracks and road systems. Overall, more than 30,000 people, working in three shifts around the clock, worked in an industrial conglomerate known as the "Koenigliche Eisengiesserei" (Royal Steel Mill) von Gleiwitz. After the decline of the German Imperial system, this industrial complex was given the name "Gleiwitzer Huette" Steel Mill of Gleiwitz.
Left: The noble estate superintendency, the incumbent with his family and their faithful dog.
Right: One of the many stables and barns on the estate.
The Gulgowski Ducal Mansion in Kielpin, Pomerania, photographed in 1936,
built in 1778 or later.
The Princes Gulgowski-Doliwa in front of the Ernst Seefried / Theodora-built ethnographic church
together with the park's curator, a translator and distant relatives of the Gulgowski Dynasty.
Theodora: The universal, sophisticated, sensitive and compassionate artist, who excelled especially in
portrait oil paintings. Of everything dear to her, she loved her husband best.
Ernst Seefried: The dedicated teacher, ethnographic researcher, accomplished author, agricultural land architect and botanic artist. Of everything dear to him, he loved his wife the most.
Together, they were lovingly thought of and passionately revered as Romeo and Juliet of the East.
The final resting place of Ernst Seefried (Izydor) and Theodora.
They are the Gulgowski icons, who transcendent the ages with their in life demonstrated virtues of
love, morality, decency, ethical behavior, loyalty and dedication, dedication to themselves, their families, the Kaszubian people, Pomerania, Germany and, toward the ends of their lives, Poland.
The Gulgowski Knightly Estate located in Weissensee, Pomerania.
Initially managed by Chev. Ernst Seefried Gulgowski and Dame Theodora Gulgowski and later
reorganized and administered as a cultural, ethnographic park honoring the Kaszubian people.
The Gulgowski Ducal Palais in Glogau, Silesia, Still in Existence Today.
Drawing of Glogau Castle Reconstruction Plan
after the Tragic Fire of 1291
H.M.S.H. Prof. Dr. Paul W. Prince Gulgowski-Doliwa,
The Duke of Schlesien-Glogau
The summer-idyllic Hegenscheidt Palace in Reindorf, Silesia.
The Duke and Duchess of Schlesien-Glogau, Princess Heide and Prince Paul, thank you very much for visiting this webpage.
H.S.H. Paul W. Prince Gulgowski-Doliwa II, B.Sc. (Distinction)
Hereditary Duke of Schlesien-Glogau, Brieg and
Lt. Colonel, INDV
H.M. The Empress Maria Theresa of Austria-Hungary, etc., elevated the extensive and free Seignory Glogau in Upper Silesia (then Galicia) to the status of Duchy during March 1752.
Addendum to Maps Introduced Above
H.E. Avn. Capt. Dr. James A. Baron Michaels, DDS
Honorary Colonel, INDV
H.E. Cdr. Larry D. Baron Perkins, M.Ed.
U.S. Coast Guard (Ret.)
H.E. Chev. Ewald Baron Langen
Bank Manager (Ret.)
White Owl Created by the World-Renowned Polish Artist
Andrzej Borgiel and Presented to Us for Ornamenting Our Newly Developed Website by H.E. Captain Orland Count Machnikowski; His Coat-of-Arms and Photograph are Presented Below.
"Wise is the man who knows how to retain trusted friends."
MODERN NOBLE TITLES HAD EARLY BEGINNINGS
The Polish Senate in session during the 18th century.
The Polish Senatorial Elite included an individual of the
The noble estate of Kielpin (modern spelling: Kelpin) still flourishes today, as the authors were able to ascertain for themselves during one of their trips to Poland. The sizable ironwork and one of the two large inns, all part and parcel of an extensive 218 ha. estate, are still in existence today and under Gulgowski management. Your attention is invited to the map below.
Four of the West Prussian land record entries from 1772 until 1872, as researched by Reuben R. Drefs and Associates are also listed in the Royal Polish Geographical Society records.
The Koenigsgulgau development under the National Socialists in Germany, which hastened the Germanization process all over the East of Germany and beyond, is also encountered in the Pomeranian Lake Land, where substituting the Polish "ow" to the German "au" is found one more time at the Gulgowski Noble Estate of Gulgau.
A short, pictorial explanation pertaining to the Royal Estate Glogowko has been added at the very end of this webpage.
Needless to say, we were unable to locate map and/or Encyclopedia entries for all Gulgowski Dynasty members past or present. Nevertheless, thanks to the Reuben R. Drefs researchers, Adam Boniecki and the German Nobility Research and Study Institute, we covered that discrepancy as much as possible. We like to think that our esteemed readers will appreciate our efforts in this direction.
The German Encyklopedia of human settlements of all types, proportions and population numbers, lists five Gulgowski Dynasty noble estates. Of interest here is that the third consonant of all these location terms is a "G" and not a "K" as is most frequently encountered in Poland or areas under its control. Possibly one most important point can be made already right here and right now. There is no doubt that the Gulgowskis were a very prolific people, who used any opportunity made available to them to advance Central European civilization and to serve the principles of enlightened Nobility and Christian chivalry.
Below, our esteemed readership will become acquainted with a third Gulkowo. Although, as a distinction to the two others, it is located near Biezun, it, nevertheless, represents a redundancy that intelligent people like my ancestors should have avoided. It is quite possible that this is the reason as to why the Royal National Geographic people have elected to put a "/" through the "l" that follows the second letter "o," so that the sound Gulkowo is being maintained.
The topographic information pertaining to the three relevant items above unfolds as follows; however, before we go there, one item of information, please. To make a long story short, the data extended below starts with Glogowko Krol, goes to Koeniglich Glugowko and becomes in 1942 Koenigsgulgau, just to return to Glogowko after the conclusion of World War II.
Obviously, we are totally capable to interpret the above texts and their data independently ourselves. Still, there is always a chance that an author gives a too subjective judgment on these things for his own benefit. To exclude this phenomena to occur, we respectfully rely on Prof. Dr. Michael Wnuk, Ph.D., whom we trust without reservation. Kindly extend your attention to this distinguished gentleman.
The Royal Polish Geography professionals agree totally with Professor Kreja, as may be examined below.
Professor Boguslaw Kreja of the University of Gdansk, Poland, was so nice and considerate to count our surname as one of the 278 most prominent names in the Gdansk area
(the Pomerania of old). He says many complimentary and highly interesting things about the Gulgowski Dynasty.
THE STUDY OF GENEALOGICAL GEOGRAPHY IS NOT AN EASY ENDEAVOR!
As case in point may serve the small city of Gulkowo near Polozk in eastern Poland, a city most probably also founded by the Gulgowski / Gulkowski Dynasty. Prior to 1772 and for a considerable time thereafter, loyalists to the past Royal Polish regime saw no difficulty or disenchantment at all with keeping names of large and small settlement established over the ages by members of the Polish Nobility. However, the deeper the roots of Republicanism entrenched themselves in Polish soil, the more Nobility originated local names were changed. In this particular instance, the city of Gulkowo was first divided into Wielkie (Gross) Gulkowo and Male (Klein) Gulkowo, i.e. "Large and Small Gulkowo." Then, after the commencement of World War II, as the German military advanced to the East, German topographic experts changed the now Polish names of Pulkowo and Pulkowko back to what it used to be prior and after 1772 - Gulkowo, as the map below indicates.
Order of Alexander Nevsky
Prince August Casimir was probably an accomplished multi-linguist. He traveled extensively through all of Europe, including Czarist Russia. Because he was awarded the Alexander Nevsky Knighthood, it can be believed with nearly absolute certainty, that he had a lot to do with the establishment and expansion of large noble holdings, such as Gulki, formally in Russia but now a 250,000 plus inhabitant holding city in Belarus. Gulkovo, the second map group below was located northeast of St. Petersburg and as such was bitterly fought over by Russia and Germany during World War II.
Primus inter pares of the Gulgowski real estate holdings clearly is the Gulki noble estate. The Encyklopedia of the Polish Nobility lists this estate as established in the year 1660.
The Geographical Dictionary of the former Kingdom of Poland and other Slavic borderlands registered the very same estate in the year 1866, which probably has to do with the relative late appearance of this Warsaw-based publication in the year 1881.
The Strzemie coat-of-arms as it may have appeared after the Gulgowskis were advanced to Princely / Ducal rank by H.I. & R.M. Empress Maria Theresa in the year 1752.
Our esteemed readers will probably recognize immediately that the greater coat-of-arms of the Dukes Gulgowski-Doliwa also fields the Strzemie Battle Clan coat-of-arms, also be it in the augmented form. One could make the case that the Strzemie coat-of-arms should enjoy supremacy over the Doliwa coat-of-arms; however, we do not feel that sense of urgency at the present time, given the fact that our highly honored Herald Master is currently seriously ill and doesn't have the physical strength to attend to this matter at the moment.
The Nobility of Poland, Their Coat-of-Arms and Their Battle Clans
(Page 6, Published: 1 July 2013)
The Noble Polish Battle Clan of Strzemie
H.M.S.H. Princess Heide A.M. Gulgowski-Doliwa,
The Duchess of Schlesien-Glogau
Description of the Strzemie coat-of-arms: In a red field a golden tri-angular stirrup; helmet augmentation: five peacock feathers.
About the origin of this coat-of-arms, the following is reported: At the time when Polish King Bolestaw Chrobry (1001-1025) conducted war on Russian territory, a knight fell from his horse in battle, leaving his horse dead. Just at that moment, the fallen warrior observed, while one of his feet had inadvertently entangled itself in its stirrup, that he had become marked for a dangerous attack by one of his enemies, who had resolved to give him the stab of death. With a tremendous effort of strength and resolve, the knight in question ripped loose his stirrup with straps and utilized these items as a weapon against his opponent, whom he killed and then mounted that man’s horse, making it his own. A second enemy had witnessed this event and decided to immediately attack our brave knight. This good man lacked the time to draw his saber, resorting once again to his improvised weapon of stirrup and strap and was successful in beating this second enemy from his horse. Then, our hero made his second attacker his prisoner of war and led him to his king. In gratitude, the king awarded our hero knight the coat-of-arms Strzemie, which initially was identified as Lawsowa, based on the locality of the heroic deed or possibly the land possession of the honored knight. Over time, the name Lawsowa faded away into history and the coat-of-arms name Strzemie (the stirrup) prevailed. The major Polish city associated with the Battle Clan Strzemie was undoubtedly Krakau.
A total of 80 Battle Clan families are permitted to carry the coat-of-arms Strzemie, among them the families with Strzemien-related surnames, including the Brostowski and Golkowski (Gulgowski) families.
Now we invite our readers to the NOBLE LANDHOLDINGS OF OUR ANCESTORS.
The principal, start-out estates of the Princely / Ducal House Gulgowski-Doliwa, as mentioned in the Hohenzollern Collection papers, are depicted below.
The status and recognition of the Nobility of Central Europe, especially those of the Magnates of Poland, were directly related to the number of villages and noble estates they controlled and commanded. The Gulgowski Dynasty was no exception in this regard. Your considered attention is invited to the geographical and topographical materials presented below.
Ancient Noble Estates and Modern Noble Titles
Although the Gulgowski Dynasty historically goes back to the Royal House of Piast, founded in 850,
over the centuries it utilized several coats-of-arms (such as the Grzymala and Strzemien, to mention just two), however, it principally fielded and fought under the Doliwa coat-of-arms since at least the 16th century.
The Gulgowski Dynasty Association with
The Imperial Order of The Teutonic Knights of
St. Mary's Hospital in Jerusalem Founded 1190
Our on-the-ground reconnaissance of the Royal Estate Glogowko with our Polish cousins, Michael Gulgowski and Zdzisia Gulgowski, during 2008, revealed very little of the once proud Royal possessions of the Gulgowski Dynasty.
All that was left were some sturdy remnants of what used to be a formidable hunting castle (Jagdschloss), that was employed during World War II as a German naval aviation intercepter/fighter guidance installation.
Addendum Almanac of Wuerzburg, Directory of Sov. and Noble Houses, 2014
The Heraldry Chancellory of the Polish Nobility Association Certificate No. 145, Registry No. G-9,
indicates our Doliwa Battle Clan Membership commencing at least with the year 1600.
This valuable document is signed by Dr. Roger Prince Chylinski-Polubinski of
Royal Polish Lithuanian Commonwealth fame.
The Ducal / Princely House Gulgowski-Doliwa
proudly acknowledges being listed twice in the Almanac of Wuerzburg,
1) Sect. IV, Sovereign Duchies, The Duchy of Lower Silesia/Schlesien-Glogau (Niederschlesien), page 51,
2) Sect. XIX, The Nobility of Poland, Princely Houses, page 491.
Every one of the shields with a gravestone function lists at least five or more fallen Russian soldiers.
Many of them are known only to God.
However, the cruelty of World War II, although in many ways having diminished over the last 70 years,
has slipped further back into history by harmoniously and carefree frolicking horses in the meadows of Pomerania, once upon a time the summer home of the Princely / Ducal House Gulgowski-Doliwa.
As historians, the above historical account reminds us most vividly of one of the injustices imposed on
General Robert E. Lee, who did lose his extensive land possessions of Arlington to the dead of the Union Army. They and future military casualties of war of the USA are now interred there.
(The Royal Glogowko Hunting Castle (Koeniglich Gulgowko Jagdschloss)
Directory of International
Sovereign and Noble Houses: Various monarchies, sovereign houses, and states have long maintained records of members of royal and noble houses. The Almanach de Gotha served as a form of privately-published social register across national boundaries for European royalty and nobility from the late 18th century until its records were destroyed by the Soviets in 1944. Diligent researchers located medieval data at the Würzburg Archives in the Würzburger Residenz, Germany. Data found there helped form the basis of the reconstructed Almanac of Würzburg, making it a useful historical directory of ancient and modern royalty and nobility. The Almanac includes reigning and non-reigning sovereign houses, higher nobility, and nobles of many nations. While some revisionists of history purport today that original Almanacs, such as the Almanach de Gotha, were legal documents, they in fact were not. They were simply an early version of a "Who's Who" among royalty and nobility and served mainly as a social register. The fact that a name or title is not listed often speaks volumes about the petty nature of editors and backers of a private publication in a vain assumption that readers will find those whom are excluded as somehow less credible. It is a routine tactic that continues today on the internet, the current version of the Wild West.
Naturally, the Gulgowski Nobility connected with the Teutonic Knights were also associated with the historically prominent and powerful Marienburg Castle. Next to the castle complex featured above, a faded Doliwa coat-of-arms can still be clearly noted within.
The Mystical Land of the Eternal Dragon,
the Ancient Kingdom of Annam and the
Empire of Vietnam.
Not withstanding the Gulgowski alliance with the Kingdom of Poland and the Grand Duchy of Lithuania, they eventually associated themselves with the Imperial Order of The Teutonic Knights of St. Mary's Hospital in Jerusalem,
The larger community of Royal Glogowko, which consisted of a rather sizable village and a separately located dairy farm and dairy processing plant, has been razed during World War II to the ground.
Now, these grounds serve as a hallowed resting place for thousands of Russian soldiers, who have been credited with the "liberation" of this large area of real estate.
Gulgowek (Polish spelling: Glogowek) Castle in Southwestern Poland.
When Austria-Hungary governed this area, it was known as Galicia.
When Prussia took charge of this geography, it was named Schlesien.
Generation Six of the Princely Ducal House Gulgowski-Doliwa resided there
as well as earlier and later members of the Gulgowski Cadet Line.